Backlinks are well known as one of the best ways to boost your WordPress page’s ranking on search engines. Businesses, however, all to often go about this the wrong way. More than ever, search engines are factoring in the quality of backlinks into their web-crawling algorithms. This means that taking a scatter-gun approach to backlinks may hurt you in the long run. So I've put together some guidelines to help you build backlinks the right way:
- Stay in Your Field: Not long ago, it didn’t matter very much where your backlinks originated. That’s simply not the case anymore. Your backlinks should come from websites that match your field. For example, if you're an attorney, it makes sense to have a backlink from an online legal directory, not from a construction web site.
- Cultivate Relationships: Whether you’re simply exchanging links or doing a guest blog, try to develop a relationship with that readership. You might earn additional links from other members of the community. Be generous and helpful as much as time allows.
- Offer Great Content: If you offer content that is of value to people, then they will be inclined to share that content with others. The concept is simple, but in practice it will take some effort. Be warm, friendly, and informative and try to keep the sales pitch to a minimum.
- Make Sharing Your Content Easy: If you’re not using WordPress plugins that allow visitors to easily share your posts on social media, then research some good plugins out there. You will want to take advantage of social media sharing. It's easy to create Facebook sharing buttons; ditto for twitter, LinkedIn, and Google Plus. Make it as easy as possible to share your content! If you're not using Wordpress, the same principle applies; you probably will have other tools at your disposal. Add this has a quick way to add a share button if you don't have Wordpress.
- Share Content from Others: Your visitors don’t care where your content comes from, so long as it’s useful to them. Sharing valuable content from others serves your customers and clients, and it may inspire other content creator to share your work as well.
By following the above guidelines, you should be well on your way to making quality backlinks an important part of your overall SEO strategy.